TV | Christopher Aylward’s The Beothuk Story to air on NTV December 5

TV | Christopher Aylward’s The Beothuk Story to air on NTV December 5

-Advertisement-

NTV is set to air the stirring and emotionally poignant documentary The Beothuk Story this December.

From writer, producer and director Christopher Aylward – from St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador and a professor at Toronto’s Ryerson University – Aylward has spent 10 years researching the Beothuk and believes they are blended into our population. The Beothuk Story is an emotional documentary film that was a decade in the making.

The film had a premiere at the FIN Atlantic International Film Festival this past September, one of the renowned film festivals in all of Atlantic Canada.

‘This is Their story’

“For over 200 years, European history has taught us that Newfoundland’s Beothuk people are extinct. Giving voice to the Indigenous people, archaeologists, genealogists, and historians from across Atlantic Canada, The Beothuk Story debunks this myth,” the official film synopsis reads.

-Advertisement-

“Here, for the first time in Canadian documentary history, the Beothuk people speak for themselves. This is their story.”

The Beothuk Story from Newfoundland and Labrador’s own Christopher Aylward airs December 5th at 2:30 P.M. on Canada’s Superstation, NTV!

-Advertisement-

Dillon Collins is a writer based out of St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. Multi-time MusicNL nominee for Media Person of the Year. Lover of heavy metal, hoppy beverages and the loveable canine.

7 thoughts on “TV | Christopher Aylward’s The Beothuk Story to air on NTV December 5

1. Allan Anderson
    November 23, 2021

Just wondering why Burgeo is not listed on the map, as we all know there was a burial site believed to be Beothuk in Burgeo area on the island of Rencounter ,as well as Burgeo do have an aboriginal background thats well documented . regarding the bones and other items found in the small cave in that area it is in ST John’s and I do believe it should be a part of Burgeo’s past and in Burgeo and not St John’s

• Name: Allan Anderson
    • Email: allan_lena@hotmail.com
    • : I give permissions to the Newfoundland Herald to use my comment in future publications
  2. jim
    November 23, 2021

Driving through Blaketown on the Baccalieu Trail there is a sign ” Beothuk Lookout ” often wondered the story behind it?

• Name: jim FitzGerald
    • Email: jim.fitzgerald@nfld.net
  3. Lee
    November 25, 2021

A very interesting story that clanmother Ardy told me many times over the years! She was extremely proud of her heritage and lived it daily. A true warrior for the people!!! I just wished she was living to see the finish product. We love you and miss you terribly! Kepmite’ lmulek! Ksalutes lapjiw! Ap nemultes!

• Name: Lee Francis
    • Email: leefrancis@eastlink.ca
  4. Laurie Lacey
    November 29, 2021

I will be watching this “emotional” film with an open mind, but with skepticism as well. It will take strong evidence to convince me that “for the first time in Canadian documentary history, the Beothuk people speak for themselves”. That’s quite a statement for anyone to make!

• Name: Laurie Lacey
    • Email: laurielacey@gmail.com
  5. Carl Trask
    November 29, 2021

I was born at Newfoundland. Chris Aylward is a fine man. Mr. Aylward with cameraman, Mario, visited our lodge on the Sissiboo at Nova Scotia 2012 & filmed my late my wife, Ardy Born With 3 Thumbs & her mother, Ivy Toney, daughter of Joe Toney & granddaughter of Santu of Newfoundland. My Tribal wife stem from long line of Algonquian women who DNA scientists have proven stem Demasduit, Mary March, Beothuk, ancient ones of the MicMac; as recorded by Anthropologist, Dr. Frank Speck in a publication on American Aborigines over century earlier. Chris Aylward has contributed entire lifework in recognition of original inhabitants of Newfoundland, the Beothuk. I feel great honor to have shared meal & sang songs with Mr. Aylward & his cameraman friend Mario of Etobicoke, Ontario in their recording of historical evidence of Red Indians with exact mtDNA match to Demasduit, Haplogroup “C1c”, of the oldest people in the world, the Algonquian Red Indian. My late wife, Ardy, was born under Reign of King George VI & passed in my arms on 20/02/17 at Nova Scotia & is survived by 2 daughters & 4 granddaughters who all have exact mtDNA match to Demasduit. True wealth is not measured in silver & gold.

• Name: Carl Trask
    • Email: smokesignal@snakebite.com
  6. Linda Fanning
    December 5, 2021

Often throughout my life I have heard mention of the Beothuk people made extinct by the presence and actions of the Europeans. The two hour documentary was very enlightening. It is still sad how the Beothuk people were (and still are) treated but it is a wonderful and satisfying feeling that they are not extinct but exist in the generations living now who carry their DNA.

• Name: Linda Fanning
    • Email: linda.m.fanning@gmail.com
  7. Carrie Williams
    January 20, 2022

Hi. I’m in the UK and believe I have a connection to the Beothuk people. How can I watch this please?

• Name: Carrie Williams